Drawing by T.S. Avett

Drawing by T.S. Avett

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Oakland, CA

Today I went to Groove Yard.


Groove Yard is a nice little record store. They have a great selection of jazz records there with a little soul and a few other genres. The owner, Rick, is a really nice guy too. I told him I was looking for some local records and he pulled out a bunch for me. I think he said his record player was being fixed so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to listen to anything; but luckily I found this:
This is my favorite Duke Ellington album ever. It was recorded after Billy Strayhorn, Duke's long-time collaborator and confidant passed away. Strayhorn wrote many classic jazz compositions and worked with Duke for decades. He was also black and openly gay in an era that was very intolerant of both to say the least. This is some of the most beautiful music ever played and I have been looking for a vinyl copy of it for years. Do yourself a favor and listen to it, Billy Strayhorn was a great American musical mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment