Drawing by T.S. Avett

Drawing by T.S. Avett

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Portland OR, Day 1

I had a blast in Portland today. It is a beautiful lush green city with great food, coffee, friendly people and lots of record stores.

First place was Jump Jump Music.
Dan is the owner and a knowledgable & helpful record guy. He has been open in the same location for over 20 years. Everything is priced well and he even gave me a deal when it was time to settle up. Not a huge mess, everything is well organized and labeled. I came out with a nice little stack of 45's including:



Another shop I always like to visit in Portland is Mississippi Records
Mississippi is a small but well curated store. They have new and used records as well as reissues, some of which they release themselves on their label. I recently got their limited reissue of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music & Abner Jay's, True Story of Abner Jay. On my visit today, I spent most of my time going through their 45's, of which I never realized they had so many. Found this Duke Reid-produced rocksteady classic there, and a new Daptone release:



No comments:

Post a Comment