Drawing by T.S. Avett

Drawing by T.S. Avett

Friday, September 5, 2014

Portland OR, Day 2

Today I went to Crossroads Music.
Crossroads is a big store with a lot of different collections being sold by dealers who rent out space there. The prices there vary, but are generally pretty reasonable as has been the case with almost all the stores I have been to here. They have a huge volume of music of all genres there and I was pretty tired after looking through the first quarter of the store. I picked up a few things and was on my way out when I struck up a conversation with one of the dealers there. Turns out he used to run a separate shop in town but downsized to a few tables at Crossroads. He showed me his collection, which I had quickly glossed over earlier, and pulled out some real gems. Records that I have been looking for for months as well as some funk, soul and records with breaks that have been sampled by some of my favorite hip hop producers. He was super friendly and had a deep knowledge of music. Got this super heavy funky electric Muddy Waters & this Area Code 615 album of Nashville studio musicians playing pop and soul tunes, among others.
 

Last place I hit was Little Axe Records
Little Axe is very similar to Mississippi Records. They reissue a lot of old and rare records, a lot being from abroad. They also do online distribution for Mississippi. A small store off of NE Alberta, it is very comfy and well curated. Great blues, world music, soul, funk, folk and rock. The prices were great. Really nice guy was working and we chatted about records for a little while on the front porch. Got this classic Mighty Diamonds record and this Eddie Kendricks I have been looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment